Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Paper Strip" Activity


Now that you have created a "paper" strip from the first posting's activity, let's do something fun with it. This will be real simple.

Attach something to it, which remains raised on the surface. Use glue, sticky glue dots, or anything you can think of to raise your item off the surface.

Need some ideas:

beans (seeds)
thread
buttons
sand
card (or part of a card)
paper clip
clothes pin
safety pin
piece of plastic

It's ok if the addition exceeds the edges of your stip. Later you will be adding this strip to something. Begin thinking of ways you can attach your strip to something. Will it become a chunky postcard you hand deliver? Will it become a sign you hang somewhere?

My favorite uses are making spontaneous thank yous. Everyone needs a thank you, and I can usually find something I want to encourage and thank someone for. It might just be a smile, but if it lightens my load, they are a candidate for receiving something.

If my project stays fairly flat, I have been known to mail it. Here is an image of a postcard I made with left overs in the studio. In this case my paper was cloth. The brown leather was a portion of my husbands old wallet. It is shown on a journal, where it could have been glued permanently. I have piles of journals for everything from drawing to addresses and note taking. Everyone qualifies as blank paper. I try to rework the covers to fit my personality, use up extra stuff in the studio, clean out drawers, and in any way possible, help me remember which journal I wrote that address, phone number, put that sketch, or recipe in. My memory is not always what I wish it were.

No rules folks, just keep it legal and managable. You don't even have to keep your experiments. This is play. Relax and enjoy. If the results are keepable, you will find a home for it.

No comments: